Monday, September 8, 2014

Chasing Dreams

A few months ago I finally had the chance to receive a workers permit and have a legal permit to reside in the U.S, which was one less obstacle in my life to worry about. Since then, I have been attempting to see how much I can do. I went and took some night classes, to be certified as an office assistant, I got in contact with a local rehab service to assist me with job placement, from there I got into a training/volunteering position in a busy downtown hotel.
I don't know exactly how far I will go or what is going to happen next but this is the reason why I haven't answered any comments some people have sent me.
I am aware of the huge opportunity I have been given, not everyone in our shoes gets a chance like I have right now.
I like my coworkers, they treat me well, my manager is one in a million, I was very lucky. I'm still learning and some days I feel like "I'm not worthy." Still I keep going because it would be ungrateful for me not to continue after so many people have invested their time in helping me and teaching me. I truly am part of EOE, a lot of businesses say they are EOE and even participate in job fairs to employ disabled people but from what I've heard from people in the know, is that it's all just a front to make their companies look involved in the community, very rarely someone gets hired.
After my training period is over, I've heard from my employment counselor my manager likes me very much and maybe I will get hired. If I do get hired permanently it would be good, I am still wondering if I really do like customer service though, it seems my heart is always tugging for something more creative. I'm not an artist but I always enjoy working with my hands and imagination more than talking with people but then again, being comfortable only means I am not pushing myself enough to be involved. I can always do more than one thing with my life, create and follow. It's not like it will be easy to find another employer as accepting as the one I've found already.
Customer service isn't easy but if I can do this, I will learn so much and build a good reputation as a worker. It's a win-win situation, I put in my best efforts and receive great references. This is still just the beginning of this step in my life, so....
let's see what happens and thank you for all the kind messages and compliments from readers here, I didn't expect anybody to actually follow me, thanks.
Btw, don't forget about your local ADA celebrations, its that time of the year again and please don't get discouraged, we wouldn't be here if we couldn't handle what life throws at us, but just don't give up and accept defeat. FIGHTING!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment